The completely online Western Governors University continues to be an innovative leader in distance education. Initially born through the Western Governors Association, a collective group of 19 U.S. Governors, WGU enrolls more than 55,000 students, attending from all fifty states and multiple overseas military facilities.
WGU is recognized for noted awards and honors, some of which include:
- WGU was the recipient of the USDLA 21st Century Award for Best Practices in Distance Learning for 2014, awarded in recognition of their success in expanding access to higher education.
- WGU continues to receive honors from the United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA), including the Best Practices in Distance Learning awarded in 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014.
- Individual faculty have been recognized with Outstanding Leadership awards by the USDLA.
- University’s president, Robert Mendenhall, received the Harold W. McGraw, Jr Prize in Education in 2010.
- In 2012, GetEducated.com listed WGU’s bachelor’s degree in management as #4 in Affordability.
COSTS AND FINANCIAL AID
WGU aims to make higher education affordable, and as a result, charges a flat tuition rate per term rather than charging per credit hour! Tuition varies depending on program. Financial aid is also available for eligible students.
- WGU is approved by the U.S. Department of Education to offer federal financial aid.
- Select states, including Indiana, Maine, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Utah, and Vermont, may also award grants to eligible students.
- WGU supports a number of institutional and partner scholarship programs.
- Qualifying military personnel and veterans may apply for GI Bill Benefits and Tuition Assistance
- Ranked as a best buy by GetEducated.com for years!.
Prospective students that would like to learn more specifics about online opportunities at WGU should request more information.
Western Governors University provides online competency-based distance learning degrees that place an emphasis on the student. Academic degree programs are divided into four online colleges.
- WGU Teachers College
- College of Business
- College of Information Technology
- College of Health Professions
Most of WGU's undergraduate programs require the completion of 120 competency units (credit equivalents) to complete. The average time to complete a bachelor's degree at WGU is 35 months; however, individuals may be able to graduate sooner.
Students must meet several admissions criteria prior to acceptance. WGU only accepts students living in the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands and select areas of Canada. Applicants are considered based on their prior college and work experience, the time commitment that can be made to their studies, interviews with a WGU Enrollment Counselor, and results from the WGU Readiness Assessment.
WGU is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
Sector Of Institution:Private, not-for-profit, 4-year or above
Highest Level Of Offering:Master's degree
Percent Admitted:Open Admissions
Calendar System:Other academic year
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.