WGU’s online Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management degree program prepares students to harness valuable data to improve healthcare outcomes. Designed in collaboration with healthcare’s foremost leaders, the BSHIM program focuses on data analytics, resource management, business ethics, foundations in healthcare data management, and health information law and regulations. Graduates will be equipped with the skills and knowledge necessary to help drive meaningful change in the healthcare industry. The BSHIM program is CAHIIM-accredited, and qualifies students to sit for the RHIA® exam.
WGU's online programs deliver unparalleled flexibility, allowing students to complete coursework whenever and wherever works best for their schedules. Students also benefit from a competency-based learning model, which lets them complete most courses as quickly as they prove mastery of the material, making it possible to accelerate their progress and potentially graduate faster. Faculty Mentors work one-on-one with WGU students, providing dedicated coaching, guidance, and support from enrollment through graduation, and beyond.
*WGU cannot currently accept applicants who are residents of California.
% Online100% Online
Program Accreditation & Licensing
Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM)
School Accreditation & Licensing
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationHigh School or Equivalent
Official High School Transcript/GED Score
- Applicants must demonstrate IT experience either by:
- Having earned an associate’s degree in IT or equivalent (A.S. or A.A.S. acceptable); OR
- Having earned an associate’s degree from an allied health program (A.S or A.A.S. acceptable); OR
- Having earned an associate’s degree in Business Administration (A.S or A.A.S. acceptable); OR
- Holding transferable IT certifications earned within the last five years; OR
- Submitting a resume showing three-plus years of IT work experience, strategic business management experience, or healthcare-related work experience.