The first Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, three young CCVI logoFrench women motivated by the love of God and their recognition of God's presence in each person, came to San Antonio in 1869 to minister to the sick and the poor. Their spirit of Christian service is perpetuated in the University of the Incarnate Word primarily through teaching and scholarship, encompassing research and artistic expression. Inspired by Judeo-Christian values, the Catholic Intellectual Tradition, and Catholic Social Teaching, the University of the Incarnate Word aims to educate men and women who will become concerned and enlightened citizens within the global community.
Students can earn degrees at all levels at UIW, as well as professional certificates, from the following colleges and schools:
- College of Humanities, Arts & Social Sciences
- Dreeben School of Education
- H-E-B School of Business & Administration
- School of Mathematics, Science & Engineering
- School of Media and Design
- Feik School of Pharmacy
- Ila Faye Miller School of Nursing and Health Professions
- Rosenberg School of Optometry
- School of Osteopathic Medicine
- School of Physical Therapy
- School of Professional Studies
- School of Applied Sciences
The schools of Professional Studies and Applied Sciences offer degrees for busy adults and professionals in an accelerated non-traditional format. Classes are offered online or in the classroom at convenient learning centers in San Antonio, Corpus Christi and Killeen.