In September 1927, with the backing of local business and political leaders, Florida's first two-year institution of higher learning, St. Petersburg Junior College, opened in an unused wing of the then-new St. Petersburg High School. More than half of the first graduating class received state teaching certificates. At the time, the need for certified teachers in Pinellas County was great and growing and a two-year college diploma was all that was needed for certification.
St. Petersburg College awards associate’s and bachelor’s degrees and certificates, many of which can be earned completely online.
Accreditation & Licensing
St. Petersburg College is accredited by:
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)