Gain the skills and knowledge to become part of a medical office team that delivers excellent patient care. Learn how to manage medical, patient, and financial records; process medical insurance; and perform coding and billing. Complete your courses online, on your schedule.
- Program Highlights: Study reimbursement methodologies, medical terminology, human disease, human anatomy, physiology, and medical billing, coding, and insurance.
- Certifications: Prepare to obtain the Certified Medical Administrative Specialist (CMAS), Certified Coding Associate (CCA), National Certified Medical Office Assistant (NCMOA) industry credentials.*
- Career Opportunities: Physician office specialist, medical secretary, medical and health services manager, patient coordinator, assistant office manager – medical, medical office specialist
- Externship: Complete a 160-hour externship to gain real-world experience and build your resume.†
- Bachelor’s Degree Pathway: Use qualified credits earned in the medical office administration certificate toward a Purdue Global bachelor’s degree in areas such as health care administration or health information management.‡
Purdue Global cannot guarantee employment or career advancement. Additional certification or licensing may be required to work in certain fields.
* Students are responsible for understanding the requirements of optional certification exams. The University cannot guarantee students will be eligible to sit for or pass exams. In some cases, work experience, additional coursework beyond the Purdue Global program, fieldwork, and/or background checks may be necessary to be eligible to take or to successfully pass the exams.
† Some Purdue University Global programs are not 100% online; some programs require you to gain hands-on experience in a real-world work environment. Contact an Admissions Advisor for additional information.
‡ The University cannot guarantee that students will be granted admission to any future programs. Speak to an Advisor about transfer credit opportunities and see the University Catalog for the Prior Learning Assessment policy.
% Online100% Online
School Accreditation & Licensing
Purdue University Global is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLCommission.org), an institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationHigh School or Equivalent
Official High School Transcript/GED Score
- This program requires an externship in which students complete 160 hours of administrative experience at an approved health care facility.
Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin