WGU’s online Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Software Development (BSITSW) prepares students with their choice of two tracks of study: Java or C#. Designed in collaboration with IT experts, the BSITSW degree program focuses on IT fundamentals, data manipulation, scripting and programming, web development, network security, software, operating systems, and software applications. The curriculum also incorporates multiple industry-standard IT certifications. Graduates of the BSITSW program will be equipped with the skills, knowledge, and certifications necessary to successfully fill vital IT roles in management as well as software and application development.
WGU's online programs deliver unparalleled flexibility, allowing students to complete coursework whenever and wherever works best for their schedules. Students also benefit from the competency-based learning model, which lets them complete most courses as quickly as they prove mastery of the material, making it possible to accelerate their progress and potentially graduate faster. Faculty Mentors work one-on-one with WGU students, providing dedicated coaching, guidance, and support from enrollment through graduation and beyond.
The program requires a total of 122 competency units (CUs), the equivalent to the traditional credit hour.
To be admitted into this online IT degree, you must:
- Possess a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Demonstrate IT experience through at least one of the following four methods:
- Have earned an associate’s degree in IT or equivalent (A.S. or A.A.S. acceptable).
- Have completed the following high-level IT coursework within the last five years:
- Two or more upper-level Networking courses; OR
- Two or more upper-level Object-Oriented Programming courses (Java, C#, etc.); OR
- One or more upper-level Operating Systems course; OR
- One or more upper-level Information Security and Assurance course.
- Hold high-level IT certification in network, security, programming, data management, operating systems, or hardware management earned within the last five years.
- Submit a resume showing three-plus years of IT work experience.
You may also be required to take and pass the WGU Readiness Assessment — a short, multi-part online admissions test that helps determine the likelihood of success in a WGU program. Applicants who possess a bachelor's degree or one of the IT certifications that WGU recognizes for competency credit will have this requirement waived.