Bachelor of Science in Health Information Management
Western Governors University
The B.S. in Health Informatics is designed for both healthcare and IT professionals who seek the skills and knowledge necessary to become valuable assets in the high-demand fields of health informatics and health information management. This challenging program combines concepts in healthcare, information technology, and leadership practice, teaching you the skills and knowledge you need to become a valuable designer, developer, and manager of health information systems. As an added benefit, this program also incorporates multiple industry-recognized certifications, including the AHIMA Certified Coding Associate (CCA) certification.
Note: This program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). Graduates of this program are eligible to apply for the AHIMA Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) credentialing exam.
Western Governors University is:
- Challenging—The ideal student is a motivated self-starter who can commit at least 15 to 20 hours per week to their studies.
- Accredited—Western Governors University is regionally accredited.
- Affordable and Nonprofit—Tuition is less than half the cost of other reputable online universities. Your tuition goes toward your education, not to shareholders.
- Competency Based—An innovative learning model, designed for adult learners like you, that measures learning, not time spent in class.
- Respected—Your degree coursework is relevant and up-to-date because it’s designed and developed in collaboration with industry experts.
- Flexible and Online—With no set class times, you can log in and learn anytime, anywhere.
Degree Level: Bachelor
Delivery Format: 100% Online
Accelerated Degree: Yes
Accreditation & Licensing
Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM)
The program requires a total of 120 competency units (CUs), equivalent to the traditional credit hour.
Applicants must possess a high school diploma or its equivalent.
Demonstrate IT experience either through:
- Have earned an associate’s degree in IT or equivalent (A.S. or A.A.S. acceptable); OR
- Have earned an associate’s degree from an allied health program (A.S or A.A.S. acceptable); OR
- Have earned an associate’s degree in Business Administration (A.S or A.A.S. acceptable); OR
- Hold transferable IT certifications earned within the last five years; OR
- Submit a resume showing three-plus years of IT work experience, strategic business management experience, or healthcare-related work experience.
WGU offers over 50 degree programs in teacher education, business, information technology, and healthcare (including nursing). These programs are best suited for individuals with at least one year of college experience.
Online degrees based on your skills and knowledge
At Western Governors University—a private, nonprofit, online university—your competence is the ultimate focus of every degree program. By emphasizing mastery of essential skills and knowledge as opposed to accumulating credit hours or seat time, WGU’s innovative approach to online learning rewards focused, hard-working adult learners. Progress toward your degree is based on passing rigorous assessments (such as tests, projects, assignments, etc.) which measure your skills and knowledge in your field of study. We call it competency-based learning.
WGU’s rigorous yet flexible learning model gives the university a unique advantage over other online programs.
Here’s what the WGU advantage means to you:
Flexibility and Affordability. Our competency-based approach to learning allows for extensive personalization of your degree program. With assessments determining your success instead of credit hours or seat time, you’ll enjoy an education that can fit into your schedule. In most cases, you will access course material or study independently at the time and place you choose. Also, if you come into your program with years of knowledge and experience, you may be able to complete your assessments faster. Since you pay for tuition at a flat rate per six-month term, you’re paying for the time you need to complete your assessments. The faster you finish your assessments, the more money you can save.
Credibility through Accreditation. WGU is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. The Teachers College at WGU is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)—the first exclusively online teacher education institution to achieve this distinction. WGU’s nursing programs are also accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington DC 20036).
Commitment and Support. As a WGU student, you’ll have the support of a team of mentors committed to your success. You will work with a dedicated student mentor as well as course mentors who will support you every step of the way through your degree program. You’ll also interact with an online learning community of students in your same program, so you’re never alone.
If you’re an organized, independent learner willing to devote at least 20 hours a week to your studies, but require flexibility in time and place to complete your education, WGU could be the smart choice. As a nonprofit institution, WGU does not rely on state or federal funding and is not subject to review from funding agencies.
Note: In Indiana, Missouri, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington, through partnerships with these states, WGU operates as WGU Indiana, WGU Missouri, WGU Tennessee, WGU Texas, and WGU Washington respectively. Students who live in these states will receive information from and ultimately enroll in these state universities.
This program has not been ranked.
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.