Master of Science in Nursing / Family Nurse Practitioner
Samuel Merritt University
The online MSN / Family Nurse Practitioner degree program from Samuel Merritt University helps students develop the clinical knowledge and practical skills they need to gain licensure as Family Nurse Practitioners. Coursework prepares students to:
- Work with patients to develop thorough, accurate medical histories
- Perform examinations and diagnostic tests, including interpretation of results
- Establish and implement care plans based on patient needs and monitor ongoing effectiveness
- Promote healthy living habits and provide advice about preventive care
- Make referrals and consult with other practitioners
- Produce graduate-level research for peer review
- Lead within the profession and act as advocates for patients
Graduates may seek employment in a variety of settings, including hospitals, clinics, community health organizations, schools, hospice care, nursing homes, and private practice.
Degree Level: Master
Delivery Format: 100% Online
Accelerated Degree: No
Accreditation & Licensing
Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Senior College and University Commission
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Must be a licensed, currently practicing Registered Nurse with a baccalaureate degree in nursing. Nurses who hold a bachelor’s degree in a field other than nursing will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Demonstrate an interest in working with underserved populations;
- Have successfully completed at least one course in statistics;
- Can provide two letters of reference.
Our online program is approved for nurses seeking to practice in: Arizona, California, Colorado, Illinois, Nevada, Ohio & Virginia
Samuel Merritt University is a private, non-profit institution located in Oakland, California. Founded in 1909, the school was named after a physician named Dr. Samuel Merritt. Originally from Maine, Merritt served as an architect, civic planner, city mayor, physician, and ship builder in Oakland. He had drawn up plans for the construction of a hospital to be built upon his death, and Samuel Merritt Hospital fulfilled this purpose when it opened in conjunction with Samuel Merritt University. Over the years the school progressed from a hospital diploma school of nursing into a thriving university. Throughout much of its earlier history, the school was affiliated with other colleges and universities and offered students general education and liberal arts courses. The graduates of 1985 were members of the last diploma class who completed baccalaureate requirements. The 1990s brought about mergers with hospitals and the school grew. In 1990, the first graduate degree program was established, leading to a master’s degree in physical therapy. In 1999, after decades of graduating highly qualified healthcare providers, the university was awarded the California Governor's Quality Award.
Samuel Merritt University offers degrees at the undergraduate and graduate levels in health disciplines, including nursing, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and podiatric medicine, among others. Some graduate degrees in nursing are available in online formats.
This program has not been ranked.
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.