Gain the health care, IT, and business skills and knowledge required by employers in health care. Complete your courses online, on your schedule.
- Program Highlights: Study reimbursement methodologies, medical terminology, human disease, human anatomy, physiology, and medical billing, coding, and insurance.
- Certifications: Prepare to obtain the Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS), Certified Coding Associate (CCA), Certified Coding Specialist–Physician-based (CCS-P®), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS®), and Insurance and Coding Specialist (NCICS) industry credentials.*
- AHIMA PCAP Approved: This program is approved by the AHIMA Professional Certificate Approval Program (PCAP).†
- Practicum: Complete a 40-hour professional practicum to gain real-world experience and build your resume.‡
- Bachelor’s Degree Pathway: Use qualified credits earned in the medical billing/coding certificate toward a Purdue Global bachelor’s degree in areas such as health care administration or health information management.§
Purdue Global cannot guarantee employment or career advancement. Additional certification or licensing may be required to work in certain fields.
* Students are responsible for understanding the requirements of optional certification exams. The University cannot guarantee students will be eligible to sit for or pass exams. In some cases, work experience, additional coursework beyond the Purdue Global program, fieldwork, and/or background checks may be necessary to be eligible to take or to successfully pass the exams.
† This designation acknowledges the coding program as having been evaluated by a peer-review process using a national minimum set of standards for entry-level coding professionals. This process allows academic institutions to be acknowledged as offering an AHIMA-approved coding certificate program.
‡ Some Purdue University Global programs are not 100% online; some programs require you to gain hands-on experience in a real-world work environment. Contact an Admissions Advisor for additional information.
§ The University cannot guarantee that students will be granted admission to any future programs. Speak to an Advisor about transfer credit opportunities and see the University Catalog for the Prior Learning Assessment policy.
% Online100% Online
School Accreditation & Licensing
Purdue University Global is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLCommission.org), an institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationHigh School or Equivalent
Official High School Transcript/GED Score