Gain a greater understanding of the complex issues surrounding addiction in American society with the Alcohol and Drug Counseling specialization of this master’s degree in Counseling and Human Services. This online substance abuse counseling degree from Post University explores the biological, psychological, and sociological effects of substance use.
Students will examine the effects of addiction on the individual, their family, and the community. Courses explain best practices and current research on how to handle assessment, diagnosis, and treatment options. Credits from this degree program can be applied toward professional counseling licensure in most states.
Course topics within this specialization include the following:
- Biology of addiction
- Theories of alcohol and drug counseling
- Psychopathology of addiction
- Group and family treatment in addictions
- Bachelor's degree or higher
- Official transcripts
- Recommendation letter(s)
- Minimum GPA and required admissions documentation are based on the number of years of prior work or volunteer experience; additional materials may be requested.
School Accreditation Statement
New England Commission of Higher Education