Pittsburg State University was founded in 1903 as a branch of the State Normal School of Emporia. Originally, Pittsburg State University was named the Auxiliary Manual Training Normal School. In 1913, when the school became a four-year institution, the name was changed to Kansas State Teachers College of Pittsburg, and then again in 1959 the name was changed to Kansas State College of Pittsburg. In 1977, the name was changed to Pittsburg State University. The school's mission is to promote programs and services that create opportunities for students and other individuals to develop intellectually, ethically, aesthetically, emotionally, socially and physically. Today, Pittsburg State University, a comprehensive regional university, provides undergraduate and graduate programs.
Students have a variety of options academically at Pittsburg State University, certificates and degrees at all levels, from the following colleges:
- Kelce College of Business
- College of Arts and Sciences
- College of Technology
- College of Education
- Graduate and Continuing Studies
- Honors College
Pittsburg State University also offers programs that can be completed through its distance learning program.
Accreditation & Licensing
Pittsburg State University is accredited by:
Higher Learning Commission (HLC)