This online degree provides the deep statistical knowledge and technical savviness you need to step into data scientist, engineer and analyst roles in as little as 2 years. You'll learn to deliver a process that transforms raw data and places it into a decision-making context, and to leverage technology to create informed strategies and smart systems.
Learn in a Career-Focused Curriculum
The program is taught by faculty with rich industry experience and connections and who remain active researchers. They draw upon both to teach a proven, career-focused curriculum so you're prepared to meet employers' evolving needs.
George Mason's Volgenau School of Engineering has worked with big data and cybersecurity for more than 25 years. The program's online format allows the best analytical professionals to learn and advance this science together.
More highlights include:
- Degree in as little as 2 years
- 10 career-focused courses
- Using what you learn immediately
- Learning from anywhere in the world
- Mastering cutting-edge technologies
Data Scientist vs. Data Analyst Titles
The online MS in Data Analytics Engineering develops data scientists and analysts. Though the two titles can often share or overlap responsibilities, and are sometimes used to mean the same thing, in the strictest definitions, they are different.
- Data scientists design the systems for handling data. They have a strong background in computer science and experience in building systems.
- Data analysts are generally subject matter experts. They have input into the systems that are designed, but their job is to mine the systems and leverage them to produce actionable strategy.
% Online100% Online
School Accreditation & Licensing
George Mason University is accredited by:
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationBachelor Degree
Recommended GPA3.0 or above (4.0 scale)
Official College Transcript(s), Recommendation/Reference Letter(s), Resume/CV, Statement of Purpose/Intent