Nursing needs researchers to advance the boundaries of nursing science in today's complex, collaborative, and technology-rich health care field. The Catholic University of America's online Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Nursing gives you the research skills to create, implement, and evaluate strategies to achieve optimal care for all. Graduates will gain the skills necessary to advance the body of nursing knowledge and improve health care as nurse scientists and nurse scholars.
This research-intensive program focuses on the clinical aspects of nursing to develop the next generation of nurse researchers. The PhD coursework focuses on live situations and clinical practice, emphasizing the skills needed to function at the highest levels of nursing research.
- A completed graduate nursing application.
- Curriculum vitae or resume.
- Transcripts of undergraduate and graduate study that provide evidence of academic ability to complete the program and do original research. A GPA of 3.2 or higher is desired.
- Three letters of reference (at least one from a former dean, former faculty member or academic adviser and at least one from a current or former supervisor preferably in a clinical practice/research/academic setting).
- A written statement of career goals and proposed area of research.
- A copy of a recent scholarly paper, research report or publication related to clinical nursing
- International applicants should attach copies of all grade reports, certificates, and transcripts at the time of application in both the original language and in English translation. English proficiency and proof of funding documents must be presented to the Office of Graduate Admissions either by postal mail or in person. These documents will not be accepted through the online application.
- International students must meet all University requirements, including TOEFL scores to be considered.
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
School Accreditation Statement
Middle States Commission on Higher Education