The online Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) program develops the skills needed to teach English as a Second Language (ESL) in the United States or English as a Foreign Language (EFL) abroad. The curriculum explores both the mechanics of language and the importance of culture with an emphasis on being a global program. Students learn about advanced education theories, ideas, and concepts that can improve performance; gain an understanding of how to connect with their students despite a language barrier; and gain a knowledge base of trends that are changing in education, especially technology.
This degree program requires 36-39 credits for completion.
- Three professional and/or academic letters of recommendation
- GRE scores (requirement waived for candidates with cumulative 3.2 GPA on previous degree)
- Official college transcript confirming a minimum 2.9 GPA
- Writing sample of academic work
- Native speakers of English to have completed 6 hours of a foreign language Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of at least 80 or equivalent for non-native speakers of English (requirement waived in applicant has earned a minimum of 24 credit hours from an approved English-speaking university or college)
School Accreditation Statement
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges