Winthrop University's online Master of Social Work (M.S.W.) Traditional program is a 60-credit hour degree program for students who possess a bachelor's degree but may not have previous training in social work. The degree offers an empowerment-focused curriculum that prepares you to improve lives and communities as a competent, specialized social worker. You will learn to gauge the influences of power and use culturally relevant assessment, intervention, and evaluation methods to promote change across systems and levels of practice.
- Complete the 60-credit hour Traditional program in three years.
- No GRE/MAT required for admission.
- Accredited by the CSWE and grounded in the NASW Code of Ethics.
- Graduates are eligible to apply for state social work licensure at the master's level – state licensure requirements vary.
- Receive ongoing support from a dedicated faculty advisor.
- Study a unique curriculum with a specialized focus on empowerment practice.
- Receive dedicated assistance finding field work for your internships from a field placement specialist.
Graduates of the online M.S.W. program are prepared to:
- Engage in specialized practice that is constructed from a professional foundation of social work knowledge, skills, and values.
- Use empowerment practice principles including affirming strengths and capacities and thinking critically about influences of power as a guiding framework for selecting, applying and evaluating evidence-based advanced theories and methods in ways that promote human and social well-being.
- Provide leadership in influencing societal systems of power to become more responsive and culturally relevant toward helping people and groups improve their current situations and quality of life.
Social workers help people, communities, and organizations affirm strengths and cap
% Online100% Online
Program Accreditation & Licensing
Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
School Accreditation & Licensing
Winthrop University is accredited by:
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
Winthrop University is regionally accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award bachelor's, master's and specialist degrees. In addition, many individual programs at Winthrop hold specialty approval from industry accreditors.
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationBachelor Degree
Recommended GPA2.8 or above (4.0 scale)
Admission TestsProof of English Language Proficiency (International Students)
Additional Materials May Be Requested, Official College Transcript(s), Recommendation/Reference Letter(s), Resume/CV, Statement of Purpose/Intent