Bachelor of Science in Child & Family Development
Western Michigan University

Program Details

Western Michigan University offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Child and Family Development for students who want to prepare for the tasks that are a part of being an educator for young children or as an advocate for children and families, who work to improve family relationships. Students will learn about the psychological and social development of children from young ages to near adolescence and learn to work with families in order to work with families in a variety of settings. Topics include administration of child development centers, raising children in contemporary societies, and early childhood assessment and curricula. 

Students who successfully earn this degree should have proven their mastery of the ability to demonstrate their knowledge of child development and learning and study effective programs and practices in the child and family services field, to critically examine issues, trends, and current research in the child and family development services, and to understand foundational theories of research and practice related to the child and family development services. In addition, students will be expected to demonstrate their ability to apply their own values, beliefs, and biases and use this understanding to improve their work with children, families, and organizations, and to broaden their knowledge of issues related to equity and inclusion and learn to address inequities and advocate for children and families.

This degree has been approved and certified by the National Council on Family Relations for Certified Family Life Educators (CFLE).

% Online

Mostly Online

School Accreditation & Licensing

Western Michigan University is accredited by:

Higher Learning Commission (HLC)

Program Requirements & Restrictions

Minimum Education

High School or Equivalent

Admission Tests


Application Requirements

Official College Transcript(s), Official High School Transcript/GED Score

Additional Info

  • Two campus experiences required on main campus (Kalamazoo).