The online Master of Arts in Social Responsibility & Sustainable Communities is a humanities degree from Western Kentucky University. This humanities degree is an interdisciplinary program that provides students with the tools to lead communities toward social justice and sustainability. The curriculum is comprised of a core set of courses that cover policy issues, community building, and community-based research in addition to social justice and sustainability. Coursework builds the skills and knowledge needed to encourage and lead for cultural, political, and social change leading to more just and sustainable communities. You can choose to complete electives in environmental sustainability, gender and women’s studies, leadership, non-profit, or other areas of interest.
Graduates of this humanities degree are prepared to:
- Examine a range of disciplinary perspectives on social justice
- Analyze the interrelationships of issues and interlocking systems associated with social organization and community development
- Examine the practical and theoretical principles of sustainability and how to apply them to diverse situations and communities throughout the world
- Analyze the power relationships (gender, race, age, class) that historically surround social justice and how these may be changed or augmented to increase social equality and equity
- Apply the principles of community organizing and be able to effectively utilize them in a variety of communities
This program culminates in a conference-style symposium where students share their research and respond to that of their peers.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- Written statement of interest
- Two letters of recommendation
- Baccalaureate degree cumulative GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
School Accreditation Statement
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges