The Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling is an online counseling degree from Walden University that is designed for professionals who wish to help clients cope with daily life and overcome their challenges. The curriculum provides the knowledge and skills needed to help others develop their strengths, lead more productive and fulfilling lives, and find their own solutions to problems in life while also helping the students gain confidence, qualifications, and critical thinking skills that will help them be successful counselors. You will study the latest counseling theories, evidence-based research, and tools for preventing, diagnosing, and treating mental health disorders. Coursework covers a wide variety of topics and provides numerous skills so students will be able to promote mental health and wellness ethically, competently, and with respect for diverse cultures while also applying sound ethical and legal practices in their professions. Graduates are prepared to:
- Evaluate effective treatment strategies
- Choose appropriate diagnostic intervention processes
- Assess the impact of biological and neurological mechanisms on mental health
- Develop strategies for interfacing with outside stakeholders
- Apply essential counseling skills across multiple settings that are culturally and ethically relevant
Graduates will be prepared to sit for licensure.
- Students must complete two pre-practicum labs on campus.
- Bachelor's degree or higher
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
- Official transcripts
- Additional materials may be requested
Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)
School Accreditation Statement
The Higher Learning Commission