Walden University offers an online marriage and family therapy degree, the Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with a concentration in Marriage, Couple and Family Counseling. Students completing this online counseling degree program will learn to empower people as they resolve marriage and family conflicts. You will help individuals who are dealing with divorce, mediation, child rearing, school issues, family violence, and more. The curriculum explores the roles and functions of marriage, couple, and family counselors in a variety of settings as students learn to build the cross-cultural competencies and skills, they need to understand family structures, life-cycle dynamics, intergenerational influences, and healthy family functioning. Coursework allows you to:
- Examine empirically supported treatments and techniques in promoting well-being
- Explore systemic implications for conceptualization, assessment, treatment planning, and interventions
- Learn to assess procedures for evaluating research and applying findings
- Understand the legal and ethical issues related to this specialty
In addition, students will gain an understanding of the broader clinical mental health counseling field. Students will study the latest counseling theories, treatments, diagnoses, and more as they gain the knowledge and skills needed to help others cope with challenges and live productive, fulfilling lives.
- Students must complete two pre-practicum labs on campus.
- Bachelor's degree or higher
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
- Official transcripts
- Additional materials may be requested
Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)
School Accreditation Statement
The Higher Learning Commission