The online Doctorate of Social Work from the University of Southern California prepares experienced professionals with the skills to develop practical solutions to large-scale social challenges. Graduates will be equipped with the skills and knowledge to have a direct impact on vulnerable, marginalized, or otherwise disadvantaged populations.
The curriculum emphasizes rigorous inquiry and learning the methodological tools necessary to lead and manage innovation and change. Students will learn how to lead public discourse and drive change regarding the social challenges most important to them, such as homelessness, poverty, or domestic violence. The online DSW program includes two on-site residencies, with one each in Los Angeles and Washington, D.C.
A sample of course topics includes:
- Strategic innovations for the Grand Challenges
- Design laboratory for social innovation
- Leading and managing large complex systems
- Leading public discourse
- Financial management for social change
- Communication and influence for social good
% OnlineMostly Online
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationMaster Degree
Additional Materials May Be Requested, Official College Transcript(s), Resume/CV
- A master’s degree from a CSWE-accredited program or a related field, such as an MPA, MPH, MSN, MPP, MBA, MFT or any professional doctorate
- Five years’ post-master’s experience
- The [email protected] curriculum includes two six-day residencies, which take place during the third and sixth semesters. Residencies are held in Los Angeles and Washington, D.C.