The Graduate Certificate in Addiction Counseling and Prevention from the University of South Dakota prepares addiction professionals to meet increasingly complex needs of drug and alcohol patients, as well as the educational and professional expectations of employers.
The program focuses on science-based addiction education. Graduates will be prepared to provide professional counseling to individuals struggling with substance use and addiction. Completion of the certificate meets 15 of the 27 credit hours required for South Dakota state alcohol/drug certification at Level III.
Course topics discussed in this certification program include:
- Comprehensive substance use and addiction education
- Substance use and addiction treatment continuum
- Addiction and substance use counseling theories
- Advanced legal/ethical issues and addiction profession
- A bachelors degree is required
School Accreditation Statement
North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission