The Undergraduate Certificate in Addiction Counseling and Prevention focuses on science-based addiction education. Graduates will be prepared to provide professional counseling to individuals struggling with substance use and addiction.
This program gives students the tools needed to pursue a career in alcohol and drug prevention, education, counseling, and treatment. Courses examine the complex needs of drug and alcohol patients. Students outside of the state of South Dakota should check requirements for certification or licensure in their state.
Class topics in this certificate program include:
- Study of alcohol use and addiction
- Study of drug use and addiction
- Fundamental skills of individual and group counseling for addiction
- Ethical and legal issues in the addiction profession
- Addictive family systems and family counseling
- Substance use and addiction treatment continuum
- A high school diploma or GED
School Accreditation Statement
North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission