Advanced practice nurses can prepare for leadership and direct care roles in mental health with the Advanced Certificate in Family Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner. Certified PMHNPs have the ability to participate in the planning and delivery of both short and long term psychiatric treatment.
This online Mental Health Nurse Practitioner program covers topics related to patients across the lifespan, enabling graduates to work with people of all ages. Coursework takes a look at the role of family in treating patients. Students also learn the neurological basis of mental health and addictive disorders.
Graduates have advanced knowledge and skills in:
- Assessing, diagnosing, and planning treatment for psychiatric disorders and co-morbid conditions
- Prescribing and monitoring psychotropic medications
- Implementing psychotherapy and health promotion/illness prevention with individuals and groups
- Evaluating treatment outcomes
% Online100% Online
Program Accreditation & Licensing
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationMaster Degree
Recommended GPA3.0 or above (4.0 scale)
Occupational License, Official College Transcript(s), Recommendation/Reference Letter(s), Resume/CV, Statement of Purpose/Intent
- Must have a Master of Science degree in advanced practice nursing
- Must have active US RN and NP licences and active national certification in your specialty area