The Post-Master’s Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner offers master’s-prepared nurses a specialty focusing on the mental health care needs of individuals and families in diverse settings. PMHNPs can provide services in outpatient, inpatient, and private practice environments. Students in this program gain advanced knowledge and clinical skills necessary to provide comprehensive care to clients of all ages.
This online Mental Health Nurse Practitioner program is comprised of five courses:
- Theoretical diagnostics for mental and substance use disorders
- Clinical diagnostics for mental and substance use disorders
- Diagnosis and management across the lifespan theory
- Diagnosis and management across the lifespan practice
- Clinical therapeutics/preceptorship
% Online100% Online
Program Accreditation & Licensing
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
School Accreditation & Licensing
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley is accredited by:
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationMaster Degree
Recommended GPA3.0 or above (4.0 scale)
Admission TestsProof of English Language Proficiency (International Students)
Criminal Background Check, Occupational License, Official College Transcript(s)
- Applicants must have a Master of Science in Nursing or Master of Science in Nursing / Nurse Practitioner
- Applicants must have an active, unencumbered, unexpired license as a Registered Nurse in their state of residence.
- Prerequisites include successful completion of graduate-level courses in physical assessment, pharmacotherapeutics, and pathophysiology.
- Students must submit evidence of current immunizations.
California, Colorado, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts