The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley offers the online Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Interpreting. This program seeks to appeal both to practicing professionals and candidates who aim to obtain high-end interpreting abilities in the medical and healthcare interpreting areas (translation of medical records, simultaneous and consecutive interpreting capabilities, cultural and patient-doctor mediation skills).
The following courses make up the program:
- Translation Workshop: Spanish-English
- Translation Workshop: English-Spanish
- Medical Interpreting and Terminology
- Consecutive Interpreting
- Simultaneous Interpreting
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent
- Undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0
- Official transcripts from each institution attended
- Letter of recommendation
- Short essay in Spanish
- Satisfactory performance essay on the translation of a document from English to Spanish and from Spanish to English. Test waiver may be granted to applicants who hold a state or federal court or medical interpreting license.
School Accreditation Statement
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges