Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Science
Medical Technologists are highly skilled laboratory scientists who perform and evaluate laboratory procedures using a variety of sophisticated instruments. They perform, supervise and provide consultation for laboratory analyses on blood and various body fluids to obtain data on which a diagnosis is made and appropriate therapy initiated.
Students will develop organizational skills, quantitative reasoning ability and diverse laboratory science competencies. Students choose to concentrate in one of three areas: clinical laboratory science, public health laboratory science, or biomedical laboratory science. In addition to scientific, technical and clinical experiences, which are basic to Medical Technology education, there are courses to develop management, education and decision-making skills. Computer science and research and development in applied laboratory problems are included as well.
Graduates are then prepared for the expanding roles Medical Technologists are expected to fill in the future. Graduates will be eligible to take the ASCP Board of Certification Examination and apply for a license in the state of Tennessee as a Medical Technologist. If students plan to work in any of Tennessee’s licensed clinical laboratories, medical technologists must hold a state license in order to be employed.
Degree Level:Bachelor Completion
Delivery Format:100% Online
- Graduation from a NAACLS accredited MLT program with an Associate of Science Degree or an Associate of Applied Science Degree.
- Three letters of recommendation including a letter of support from your laboratory manager.
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.5
- Sufficient college level course work to total a minimum of 84 semester hours with a “C” or higher in MLT and prerequisite courses.
- National certification as a Medical Laboratory Technician.
Accreditation & Licensing
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.