SNHU's substance abuse degree online provides the training and tools you need to support sufferers of alcoholism, drug addiction and other substance use disorders as they endeavor to restore their lives and relationships.
You'll graduate with a strong educational foundation, able to implement the 12 Core Functions of a drug and alcohol counselor – as established by industry leader International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (or IC&RC). Those capabilities include:
- Understanding the theories surrounding addiction
- Assessment and diagnosis skills – using interviews, case histories and other data
- Treatment strategies
- Facilitating group discussions, conducting interventions, creating recovery plans
- Weighing legal and ethical issues associated with addiction
- Caseload, evaluation and documentation management
This program does not guarantee licensure; requirements vary by state.
School Accreditation Statement
New England Commission of Higher Education