Find out more about Michigan Technological University

Take the first step today

Talk with an Enrollment Counselor specializing in
Electrical Engineering - MS.

 Your privacy is important and your data is secure.

Program Details

Michigan Technological University offers a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering degree online. This electrical engineering program provides students with the needed skills to excell and suceed as an electrical engineer. With Michigan Tech, students can choose an electrical engineering graduate degree plan tailored to their individual goals and abilities. The program is offered with concentrations in energy systems, information systems, and solid-state electronics.

With the energy systems concentration, students will study power systems, renewable energy and power electronics, and theory and use of commercial packages for fault, power flow, and transient studies. The information systems concentration is concerned with the transmission, measurement, processing, analysis, and interpretation of information-bearing signals. Areas include signal processing, image processing, computer communications, and wireless and digital communications. The solid-state electronics research concentration covers electromagnetic wave interactions with materials, micro and nanoscale electronic materials and devices, and the quantum behavior of solids.

There are three plans available for the MS: the thesis option, the report option, and the course work option. The thesis option requires a research thesis prepared under the supervision of an advisor and 20 credits of course work. The report option requires a report describing the results of an independent study project with 24 credits of course work other than the project. Finally, the coursework option requires 30 credits of coursework; research credits may not be counted as coursework credits. For those pursuing the degree from off-campus, on-campus courses are videotaped, streamed and made available after each class session via the internet. 


Students must have a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution

Accreditation & Licensing

North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission

Accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Institutions of Higher Education