This program is not designed for teacher certification, licensure or endorsement.
Capella University's online Master's in Reading and Literacy program prepares you to assess and adapt curriculum for diverse learning styles. Capella is unique among online universities in offering a program that is state-approved – which is a requirement in some states.
As part of Capella's Professional Education Unit, this program is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
With your Master's in Reading and Literacy from Capella, you'll learn to instruct through the use of reading and literacy strategies for student achievement and integrate research and theory in practice. Additionally, you'll be able to integrate reading and literacy assessments to improve student achievement and demonstrate the professional dispositions of a teacher of reading.
Common jobs with an online Master's in Reading and Literacy include adjunct or part-time faculty, P–12 teacher, reading specialist, reading or literacy coach, coordinator of reading or literacy program, adult basic education director or curriculum specialist. Potential workplaces include: P–12 public school, P–12 private school, alternative school, land-based or online college or university, charter school, nonprofit organization or continuing education program.
For current K-12 professionals interested in extending their education with a graduate degree. Capella University education programs do not lead to initial teacher licensure.
Your program of enrollment determines the admission requirements.
Basic requirements for all programs:
- Admission application and non-refundable $50 application fee
- Acknowledgement agreement
- All applicants must understand, read, speak, and write fluently in English
- Official transcript(s) from previous institutions for degree and post-degree coursework, if applicable
Minimum level of education required:
- Must have a bachelor’s degree from an institution accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency or an internationally recognized institution
- Minimum grade point average of 2.3 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Applicants in this Specialization are required to complete the Minnesota Teacher Licensure Exam (MTLE), which is a requirement for licensure in the state of Minnesota. Students must complete the MTLE prior to enrolling in the practicum course.
Capella University's Educator Preparation Provider (EPP) is accredited based on the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) Standards through 2024.