Focus on solving current IT industry issues with the practitioner and research skills offered by Capella University’s online Doctor of Information Technology (DIT) degree.
The DIT General Information Technology specialization offers advanced information technology skills while allowing you to customize your program and work toward expertise in a chosen area. This program prepares you for a leadership role in IT, supporting you as you become a thought leader, advance to an executive position, or prepare for a future teaching career.
From day one of your program, you will:
- Develop in-demand critical thinking skills
- Master analytical approaches to solve technology problems
- Connect each experience to your growth as an IT leader
- Harness your expanding knowledge toward completing your dissertation
Designed to be completed in less than three years, the General IT doctoral program offers a streamlined learning experience, allowing you to complete your coursework and dissertation at the same time.
Everyone who obtains a doctoral degree from Capella is a scholar-practitioner—equipped with a deep understanding of foundational theory and how it applies directly to the current and future needs of their profession, as well as the skills and knowledge to research, teach, consult, and lead.
While a PhD provides you with skills to perform advanced research or scholarly writing, a DIT focuses on the application of research skills to develop innovative solutions to IT problems. A doctoral degree in IT can enhance your position as a leader in your industry.
Capella University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
With a DIT in General Information Technology from Capella, you’ll learn how to perform the research for identifying and analyzing technology challenges, then build the critical thinking skills to develop and apply solutions that achieve strategic and tactical IT-business alignment. Additionally, you’ll develop the professional skills and expertise to advance knowledge in your chosen field or discipline within information technology.
Common jobs with an online DIT in General Information Technology include IT strategy and management consultant, education leader (professor, department head, dean, etc.), IT director, or executive positions within the C-Suite: CIO, CTO, or CISO.
Your program of enrollment determines the admission requirements.
Basic requirements for all programs:
- Admission application and non-refundable $50 application fee
- Acknowledgement agreement
- All applicants must understand, read, speak, and write fluently in English
- Official transcript(s) from previous institutions for degree and post-degree coursework, if applicable
- Minimum GPA as defined by your program
Minimum level of education required:
- In addition to online courses, you will attend three four-day residential colloquia at specific stages in your program.
- Master's degree from an institution accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency or an internationally recognized institution
- Official master’s transcripts, minimum degree conferral grade point average of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale