Master of Social Work / Clinical
The Online Master of Social Work Program from 12th-ranked Boston University School of Social Work gives a new generation of social workers the opportunity to earn a degree from an internationally recognized institution that is one of America's largest and most respected private research universities. Our multi-method curriculum not only prepares students for social work practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities, but embodies the School's emphasis on the empowerment of oppressed groups, and social and economic justice in city settings. Combined with a convenient online learning format, the BUSSW Online MSW program allows individuals to earn an MSW degree while continuing to live and work in their communities.
Through BUSSW's online MSW program, you will:
- Earn your MSW in Clinical or Macro Social Work.
- Choose from one of three tracks: Advanced Standing, Traditional or Human Services
- Experience the same dynamic curriculum as our on campus students, delivered by world-renowned, top-tier Boston University faculty.
- Practice while remaining an active member of your local community while utilizing cutting-edge, web-based learning platforms delivering online lectures, simulations, audio, videos, and discussion boards.
- Attend weekly pre-scheduled "live classroom" sessions
- Experience a rigorous field education experience which provides students with dynamic, hands-on practice within social work practice settings.
- Complete the program in as few as nine consecutive semesters as a part-time student. (Advanced Standing students complete the program in six consecutive semesters)
- Attend a program awarded both the Sloan Consortium Award for Excellence in Institution-Wide Online Education and the U.S. Distance Learning Association Award for 21st Century Best Practices
MSW Track Options - Align Your Experience With Career Goals
Boston University's online MSW program welcomes students who possess a bachelor's degree in social work or a bachelor's in another field. Incoming MSW students have varying levels of work experience in the field, so the online classroom offers a diverse network for students to engage with professionally.
Boston University's MSW program offers Macro and Clinical majors, with three different tracks, to make sure each student's graduate program is tailored to his or her experience. These three tracks are available to recognize academic and professional backgrounds.
- Traditional MSW Track (TT): This track consists of 65 credits, which can be completed in three years over the course of nine semesters (fall, spring, and summer). Students take foundation and advanced courses online, attend required live classroom sessions held Sunday or Monday nights, and complete two field internships.
- Human Service Experience Track (HSE): Applicants who have a minimum of two years of supervised human services experience may be considered for the HSE track. The program consists of 65 credits, which can be completed in three years over the course of nine semesters (fall, spring, and summer). Students take foundation and advanced courses online, attend required live classroom sessions held Sunday or Monday nights, and complete a single 1,000 hour field internship.
- Advanced Standing Track: This option is open to applicants with an undergraduate social work degree from a program accredited by CSWE. Students accepted into the advanced standing track are able to put 22-25 credit hours of previous coursework towards their MSW degree. The remaining 40-43 credits in the program must be taken at BUSSW or as part of a BUSSW-approved course of study. Students enroll in courses online, attend required live classroom sessions held Sunday or Monday nights, and complete an advanced 1,000 hour field internship.
A rigorous field education experience is required of every MSW student. The field experience is a vital aspect of the social work graduate program curriculum which provides students with dynamic, hands-on practice within social work practice settings. Field education not only exposes students to the everyday activities they will utilize during their career in social work, but also gives them the opportunity to start making a difference in people's lives before they even graduate.
Degree Level: Master
Delivery Format: Mostly Online
Accelerated Degree: No
Accreditation & Licensing
New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education
Council on Social Work Education
Personal statement. Current Resume or CV. Three professional and/or academic references. Official transcripts from all previous undergraduate and, if applicable, graduate academic institutions. GRE or MAT scores must be submitted (if your cumulative undergraduate GPA where you obtained your degree is below 3.0 on the US 4-point scale).
The online program is available for individuals living in the USA except those from US territories.
Founded in 1839, Boston University is one of America's largest and most respected private research universities. It offers a unique combination of academic excellence and social relevance for its more than 33,000 students from 135 different countries.
It's in our DNA: an inherent desire in each of our students, faculty, and staff to vigorously and dauntlessly pursue knowledge—and embrace the unlimited possibilities that come with it.
Boston University has a rich and distinguished history of support for Civil and Women's Rights. BU was the first university to open all divisions to female students, the first American university to award a Ph.D. to a woman, the first in the U.S. to award a medical degree to a black woman, and the first to graduate a black psychiatrist. Boston University Medical College was the first coeducational medical college in the world, and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. chose Boston University as a place to hone his message of peace and social justice in the 1950s, graduating with his Ph.D. in Theology from BU in 1955.
This program has not been ranked.
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.