Focus your passion for positive social change on communication techniques that engage and mobilize audiences to action. The Advocacy and Social Impact concentration within American University's online MA in Strategic Communication emphasizes strategies and tactics to create change at the individual, community, and public-policy levels. Coursework supports career outcomes in various areas, including politics, health care, community issues, and the nonprofit sector.
- Create and manage advocacy and social change campaigns based on core-messaging principles and audience-research techniques
- Apply social-science theories to drive strategies that achieve desired behavior-change outcomes
- Master social media strategies and tactics
- Learn state-of-the-art digital advocacy and organizing techniques
- Understand legal and ethical principles that guide communication practice
Learn to leverage communication expertise to make a positive social impact and promote causes you believe in as you gain a comprehensive understanding of communication theory, principles, and application. Courses are taught by the same accomplished faculty who lead our on-campus communication program in Washington, D.C., a center of political and social dialogue, policy, and action. Students and alumni continue the tradition of accomplishments in social change, justice, and advocacy communication for which American’s School of Communication is known.
Why American University?
- Online convenience and flexibility lets you continue to work and complete your MA in Strategic Communication in less than two years.
- About 95% of American University’s Master’s in Strategic Communication graduates are employed or continuing education within six months of graduation.
- Bachelor's degree
- Statement of purpose
- Official transcripts
- Letters of recommendation
School Accreditation Statement
Middle States Commission on Higher Education