The independent, trusted guide to online education for over 24 years!

Guide to Financial Aid, Part 3

Loans & Federal Work Study

Return to Page 2

The federal work-study program is a way for students to afford a college education with earned money. Work-study programs are open to undergraduate, graduate and professional students with financial need. The programs offer part time work, which can be on or off campus, for enrolled full-time or part-time students.

Student Requirements
Financial aid is available to students who demonstrate financial need, which is the difference between the expenses of attending a school and expected family contribution. Students must also be a United States citizen with a valid Social Security number or an eligible non-citizen. 

A high school diploma, general education development certificate or recognized equivalent is required in order receive financial assistance. Eligible students are required to register with the Selective Service and maintain satisfactory performance while enrolled in an accepted program.

FAFSA QualificationsStudent aid is provided strictly for expenses related to tuition, room and board, books and supplies at any recognized institution of education such as a college or university.

It is important to note that financial aid is commonly transferable to from one institution to the next and as a result a student should not wait to be accepted by a school before applying for aid. Rather, students should apply for financial aid in advance of their college acceptance and then transfer their received aid to the school of their choice later.