Eastern Oregon University

One University Blvd, La Grande, OR 97850

School Details

Eastern Oregon University is a four-year public state university located in La Grande, Oregon. Founded in 1929, the university began as a preparatory school for teachers and was originally known as the Eastern Oregon Normal School.  However, ten years later, the name changed to Eastern Oregon College of Education. Over the next two decades the school expanded the curriculum to include other programs outside of education and as a result the name changed yet again to Eastern Oregon College. The university underwent yet another name change in the 1970s and became known as Eastern Oregon State College, which remained until 1997 when the university adopted its current name. Eastern Oregon University is regionally accredited by the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges.

Eastern Oregon University is a medium-sized institution with around 4,000 undergraduate students and a little more that 350 graduate students. Almost 65 percent of students return to EOU for their second year. The average age of the EOU student body is 30 years old and 27 years old for full time students. While almost three-quarters of EOU students are full time there is also a significant portion of around 35 percent of students who qualify as part time. There are more female than male students at Eastern Oregon University and the gender ratio is about 60:40. While EOU includes over five different ethnicities, the greatest percentage of students identify as Caucasian. Other ethnicities at EOU include Hispanic, Native Hawaiian, Native American, African American and Asian. Around 70 percent of students live within the state of Oregon, while the remaining 30 percent of the student body lives outside the state. 

EOU has many clubs and organizations for students to get involved in such as intramurals, student government and leadership, study abroad and many more. 

Students faced with the high costs of tuition can at times feel overwhelmed by the task; however, EOU students have a multitude of financial aid options available to them. Students can apply for federal financial aid, scholarships, grants, private loans and federal work study programs. Around 90 percent of students were judged to have financial aid need and almost all were offered financial aid. A little less than 10 percent of students had their full financial aid need met. About 70 percent of financial aid is from loans or part time jobs while the remaining 30 percent is from grants and scholarships. 

Student at EOU can earn degrees at the association, bachelor’s, and master’s level in addition to post-secondary certificates. Eastern Oregon University offers in business administration, history, psychology, public administration and many more. Students who wish to earn their associate degree from EOU should complete a minimum of 60 credit hours to complete the program. Associate degrees take an average of two years to complete as a full time student. Bachelor’s degree programs  require a minimum of 120 credit hours, and students pursuing a master’s degree must complete an average of 45 quarter hours.

Students interested in a degree or program from Eastern Oregon University should request more information.

Accreditation

Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities

Expand

School Overview:

  • Sector Of Institution:
    4-year, Public
  • Religious Affiliation:

    None

  • Highest Level Of Offering:
    Master's degree
  • Total Enrollments:
    3,653
  • Adult Age Enrollments:
    1,946
  • Percent Admitted:
    64%
  • Calendar System:
    Quarter

Affordability

Reviews

Success! Thank you for submitting a review. You may not see your review immediately as it still subject to review.

Available Programs

Expand
Start HERE to Boost your Career