Lincoln University is a four-year public school located in Jefferson City, Missouri. Lincoln University was founded in 1866 for the special benefit of the freed African-Americans. The school’s fundamental idea was to combine labor with study. In 1954, the United States Supreme Court handed down its ruling in Brown v. Board of Education, and Lincoln University responded by opening its doors to all applicably meeting its entrance criteria.
Today, Lincoln University is a proud historically black, public, comprehensive, 1890 land-grant institution that challenges its students with a broad range of academic preparation and skills. The LU Campus is located in the capital city of Missouri: Jefferson City.
Lincoln University offers certificates of completion, associate’s degrees, bachelor’s degrees, and master’s degrees. Students who want to gain their undergraduate degree can choose from 50 learner-centered undergraduate degree programs. Master’s degree programs are available in education, business and the social sciences.
Lincoln University has 3,388 students (3,192 undergraduates) and 264 faculty members, giving the university a 15:1 student-to-faculty ratio. Of all faculty members, 166 teach full-time and 98 teach part-time. About 69% of undergraduate students study full-time and 31% study part-time. Most graduate students (61%) study part-time and 39% study full-time.
The student body contains 59% female students and 41% male students. About 52% of all students are white with the remaining students being black (41%), Asian (4%), and Hispanic (3%). About 78% of students are ages 24 and under with 22% of students being ages 25 and above. About 71% of students are from Missouri, 29% are from out-of-state, and 1% are from a foreign country.
The retention rate for first-time, full-time students is 48% and the retention rate for first-time, part-time students is 31%. The overall graduation rate is 21% and the overall transfer-out rate is 52%.
Students have access to services such as remedial tutoring, academic counseling, career counseling, employment services for students, placement services for completers, and on-campus daycare. Special learning opportunities include ROTC (Army), teacher certification, distance education, and study abroad.
Lincoln University operates eight residence halls, including Anthony, Bennett, Dawson, Hoard, Perry, Sherman, Tull and Yates. Dawson Hall was designated LU's freshman center,Bennett Hall is designated for students studying agriculture and/or natural sciences, Hoard is single gender and for male students with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better, and Yates is single gender for female students with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better. Assignments are made throughout the summer and residents are notified of their assignment in late July.
First-time freshmen and transfer students must pay their room deposit and submit a completed contract before an assignment to Dawson Hall is made.
Campus life includes more than 50 registered student organizations, ranging from fraternities and sororities, to academic and professional affiliations.
Financial aid is offered in the form of state grants, federal grants, scholarships, and loans. To qualify to receive financial aid, students must complete a FAFSA form and be evaluated to be in financial need. Approximately 97% of those attending Lincoln University receive financial aid.
Lincoln University has an open admissions policy and accepts all students who meet the following requirements: the student has earned a high school diploma with a minimum 2.00 GPA or has completed state requirements for a GED, met the Missouri Core Curriculum Requirements, and submitted results from either the ACT or SAT exam. Deadlines for application for the fall semester are July 1; deadlines for application for the spring semester are December 1; and deadlines for application for summer sessions are May 1. Early application is encouraged and strongly preferred.
Lincoln University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, National Association of Schools of Music, Missouri State Board of Nursing, National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission, and the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education.
North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission
Sector Of Institution:4-year, Public
Highest Level Of Offering:Post-master's certificate
Adult Age Enrollments:735
Percent Admitted:open admission policy
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.