The independent, trusted guide to online education for over 26 years!

Hybrid MBA (Virtual + Residency Requirements) vs. Online MBA vs. Online MS Leadership

The last time I submitted a post, it was in order to distinguish between several types of online MBA programs.

This time I’m trying to decide between the ROI found in completing an MBA 100% online or one that has virtual and residency components.

Babson MBA Fast-Track: 21 months | Residency every 7-weeks for 3-days | $75k base program cost

Northeastern University: 24 months | 100% online | $65k program cost

I know what I’m getting with Northeastern. However, I’m finding that if I’m going to dedicate the next 2-years of my life to an MBA program, inclusive of the costs invested, I want to get the most out of it as possible. Therefore, an online MBA from Northeastern, although good, would limit me to different classmates every 5-weeks (not cohort based), and 100% virtual.

Babson has the entrepreneurial spirit and ranking, residency requirements, and cohort. Therefore, I get to play with innovation and creativity while establishing a solid network and experiencing the face-to-face interaction with professors and fellow classmates. I’m just concerned the added costs in traveling: airfare to and from, rental cars and hotel stay will increase the program cost to an approximate $85k or so.

My perspective is this: I want a FUN program. My goal is to get into leadership, strategy or technology consulting with a big firm like PWC, Deloitte, Booz Allen, where using innovation and creativity goes a long way. So, I’d like a program that has some form of entrepreneurship coursework via specialization or built-in. However, I’m not too interested in all the finance-related material of most MBA programs. I find that I like curriculum of Leadership programs, i.e. Purdue University Hybrid MS Leadership. It has more people-oriented content as well as a little bit of Finance, which is great for me.

Also, I came across University of Texas Austin MS Technology Commercialization, which is entrepreneurial-minded, but more focused on getting technology to market. Therefore, it would work best with Product Development, Business Development, etc.; however, I’m worried it may limit my options. As I’m not too certain what I’d like to do with my career, I enjoy the flexibility an MBA brings with me. And I’m not sure how employers view an MBA vs MS Leadership.

Am I all over the place here? : )

Leave a Reply