William Peace University was founded in 1857 under the name of Peace Institute and offered education for boys and girls in primary grades and to women from high school to college. By 1940 the school had evolved into Peace College and offered an academic program for young women that consisted of the last two years of high school and the first two years of college. Then in the mid-1990s, four year status was granted and coeducation classes were created. Recently in 2011, the name was changed to William Peace University. As a private institution of higher education, William Peace University is affiliated with the Presbyterian Church. Their stated mission is "to prepare students for careers in the organizations of tomorrow. Rooted in the liberal arts tradition, our students develop an appreciation for life-long learning, a focus on meaningful careers, and skills for ethical citizenship."
WPU offers undergraduate degrees in the academic areas of arts, business, education, social sciences, and sciences. For students who have a hectic schedule and may not be able to fit in traditional in class learning, William Peace University offers a distance learning program through the department of Adult and Professional Studies where degrees can be completed entirely online.
Accreditation & Licensing
William Peace University is accredited by:
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)