Alcohol and Drug Abuse Graduate Certificate
Western Michigan University
Western Michigan University offers a Graduate Certificate in Alcohol and Drug Abuse for graduate students and working professionals in counseling psychology, occupational therapy, psychology, public administration, biological sciences, social work, sociology, and other disciplines related to human services. Students in the program will have the opportunity to develop their knowledge in the analyzing, treating, and preventing relapses of patients who suffer from drug or alcohol addiction or abusive behaviors. All social groups in society have different forms of addiction problems, and through the program, students will learn about addressing populations of substance abusers through examination of biological, psychological, and sociological aspects of substance abuse. Through the program, students should develop advanced skills to help counsel those with disorders requiring understanding psychology and developmental issues in treatment of addictions.
Students will take part in a curriculum, in which they may develop their counseling abilities and specialized knowledge in the treatment of abuse and addiction. Those classes include substance abuse awareness, introduction to group counseling, and medical high risk issues.
Individuals who complete this program should have the capability to demonstrate the following skills:
- apply sound ethical, legal, and business practices in the work of an addiction counselor
- demonstrate the ability to implement counseling, prevention, and intervention services related to addiction counseling
- promote diversity and advocacy as related to addiction counseling
- employ various assessment techniques
- appropriately intervene in meeting the needs of diverse addiction clientele
- use evidence-based research literature to inform practice in meeting the needs of diverse addiction clientele
- use diagnostic tools to diagnose addiction and other disorders in diverse clientele
Degree Level: Certificate
Delivery Format: 100% Online
Accelerated Degree: No
Accreditation & Licensing
North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission
A bachelor's degree or higher.
Western Michigan University is a four year public research university that is located on a suburban campus in Kalamazoo, Michigan. WMU was founded in 1903. WMU works to reflect a globally engaged, dynamic university that combines the resources of a national research university with the personal attention and support that are typically found at a small college, which gives students an advantage in graduate school, the workplace and life. WMU is a research university that is learner-centered and builds intellectual inquiry and discovery into its academic programs in a manner that fosters knowledge and innovation, and turns wisdom into action. WMU provides leadership in teaching, learning, research and service, and has a commitment to enhancing the future of those living around the world.
Students at Western Michigan University can choose a comprehensive range of degrees and certificates from the following colleges and schools:
- College of Arts and Sciences
- College of Aviation
- Haworth College of Business
- College of Education and Human Development
- College of Engineering and Applied Sciences
- College of Fine Arts
- College of Health and Human Services
- Lee Honors College
- Graduate College
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School
- Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
Western Michigan University integrates distance education coursework and programs, adding greater flexibility and convenience for students. Students taking courses online continue to have access to student resources offered on-campus.
This program has not been ranked.
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.