Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Western Governors University
The B.S. in Nursing (RN to BSN) is designed for RNs with associate’s degrees or diplomas in nursing who are seeking a bachelor’s degree to ascend the ranks. This challenging program expands student knowledge and skills beyond the clinical aspects of nursing to give background in evidence-based practice, patient safety, and technology integration, as well as healthcare systems and policies. Along with the rigorous online curriculum, this program requires a minimum of 90 hours of mentor-guided clinical experience in a qualified community health services setting.
Note: Applicants must hold an unencumbered RN license and currently be working in a healthcare-related field.
Western Governors University is:
• Challenging—The ideal student is a motivated self-starter who can commit at least 15 to 20 hours per week to their studies.
• CCNE Accredited—WGU nursing programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education(One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington DC 20036, 202-887-6791). WGU is also regionally accredited.
• Affordable and Nonprofit—Tuition is less than half the cost of other reputable online universities. Your tuition goes toward your education, not to shareholders.
• Competency Based—An innovative learning model, designed for adult learners like you, that measures learning, not time spent in class.
• Respected—Your degree coursework is relevant and up-to-date because it’s designed and developed in collaboration with industry experts.
• Flexible and Online—With no set class times, you can log in and learn anytime, anywhere.
Degree Level: Bachelor Completion
Delivery Format: 100% Online
Accelerated Degree: Yes
Accreditation & Licensing
Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
Degree completion requires a minimum of 120 competency units (equivalent to traditional credit hour), including from 50 - 90 transfer credits awarded for RN licensure and prior college credits.
- Must possess an associate’s degree or diploma in nursing.
- Must possess a current, unencumbered registered nurse (RN) license.
- Must submit a resume and be actively working as an RN at the time of application and enrollment.
- Must submit to a criminal background check through American Databank. California residents are also required to provide proof of current immunizations.
WGU offers over 50 degree programs in teacher education, business, information technology, and healthcare (including nursing). These programs are best suited for individuals with at least one year of college experience.
Online degrees based on your skills and knowledge
At Western Governors University—a private, nonprofit, online university—your competence is the ultimate focus of every degree program. By emphasizing mastery of essential skills and knowledge as opposed to accumulating credit hours or seat time, WGU’s innovative approach to online learning rewards focused, hard-working adult learners. Progress toward your degree is based on passing rigorous assessments (such as tests, projects, assignments, etc.) which measure your skills and knowledge in your field of study. We call it competency-based learning.
WGU’s rigorous yet flexible learning model gives the university a unique advantage over other online programs.
Here’s what the WGU advantage means to you:
Flexibility and Affordability. Our competency-based approach to learning allows for extensive personalization of your degree program. With assessments determining your success instead of credit hours or seat time, you’ll enjoy an education that can fit into your schedule. In most cases, you will access course material or study independently at the time and place you choose. Also, if you come into your program with years of knowledge and experience, you may be able to complete your assessments faster. Since you pay for tuition at a flat rate per six-month term, you’re paying for the time you need to complete your assessments. The faster you finish your assessments, the more money you can save.
Credibility through Accreditation. WGU is regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. The Teachers College at WGU is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)—the first exclusively online teacher education institution to achieve this distinction. WGU’s nursing programs are also accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington DC 20036).
Commitment and Support. As a WGU student, you’ll have the support of a team of mentors committed to your success. You will work with a dedicated student mentor as well as course mentors who will support you every step of the way through your degree program. You’ll also interact with an online learning community of students in your same program, so you’re never alone.
If you’re an organized, independent learner willing to devote at least 20 hours a week to your studies, but require flexibility in time and place to complete your education, WGU could be the smart choice. As a nonprofit institution, WGU does not rely on state or federal funding and is not subject to review from funding agencies.
Note: In Indiana, Missouri, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington, through partnerships with these states, WGU operates as WGU Indiana, WGU Missouri, WGU Tennessee, WGU Texas, and WGU Washington respectively. Students who live in these states will receive information from and ultimately enroll in these state universities.
This program has not been ranked.
Be the first to write a review. Click the link below.