A Medical Social Work concentration is available within the online PhD in Social Work degree program at Walden University. Medical social workers assist individuals and families facing illness, disability, and issues related to aging.
Classes encourage students to create, analyze, and utilize methods used by medical social workers. Students will develop and assess the best possible strategies for interventions for clients, particularly the elderly. Graduates will be prepared to work in settings including hospitals, nursing homes, and other treatment facilities.
Course topics include the following:
- Medical social work
- Dimensions of contemporary aging
- Advanced social work theory and practice
- This program requires at least two on-campus residencies.
- Master's degree or higher
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Official transcripts
- Additional materials may be requested
School Accreditation Statement
The Higher Learning Commission