Prepare for a leadership role in clinical, academic, or nonprofit settings with a PhD in Counselor Education and Supervision. This doctoral program from Walden University is CACREP accredited and equips students with advanced teaching, supervision, and counseling skills.
Graduates will be able to pursue careers in settings including hospitals, government agencies, higher education, nonprofit organizations, mental health facilities, and rehabilitation centers. Courses evaluate the theory and practice of counseling through qualitative and quantitative research. Outside of traditional classes, the curriculum includes components of a practicum, internship, residency, and doctoral dissertation.
Along with the general program, Walden’s online Counseling degree program offers a variety of specializations including:
- Advanced research methods
- Counseling and social change
- Forensic mental health counseling
- Leadership and program evaluation
- Trauma and crisis
% OnlineMostly Online
Program Accreditation & Licensing
Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)
Program Requirements & Restrictions
Minimum EducationMaster Degree
Recommended GPA3.0 or above (4.0 scale)
Additional Materials May Be Requested, Occupational License, Official College Transcript(s), Resume/CV
- This program requires an on campus residency and two short on-campus practicums.
- Applicants must be licensed as a professional counselor with a master's degree in counseling or have graduated from a CACREP-accredited program, and have three years of relevant work experience.
New York, Rhode Island