Walden University offers a specialization in Addictions and Social Work within its PhD in Social Work degree program. Graduates will be prepared to advance their research or teach college-level students about effective prevention and consultation strategies for addictions.
This online Substance Abuse Counseling degree examines the psychology of addiction and the different types of interventions available to individuals and families. Types of addictions explored in this online Social Work degree include substance abuse, excessive gambling, hoarding, and self-harm. In addition to traditional classes, students will undertake a doctoral capstone project and four PhD residencies.
The curriculum includes studies of:
- Social change in action – prevention, consultation, and advocacy
- Treatment of addictions
- Contemporary issues, social change, and social policy
- Advanced social work theory and practice
- This program requires at least two on-campus residencies.
- Master's degree or higher
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Official transcripts
- Additional materials may be requested
School Accreditation Statement
The Higher Learning Commission