Social Work professionals working in public safety fields may consider this Doctor of Social Work degree specializing in Criminal Justice from Walden University. Individuals working in law enforcement and rehabilitation will study best practices related to traditional forms of intervention in this online Social Work degree.
Classes examine ways to work with both offenders and victims of crime. Students of this online Criminal Justice degree will learn how social issues such as economic decline, substance abuse, and lack of educational or employment opportunities can contribute to criminal behavior. Graduates will be skilled at providing individual and group therapy and be well versed in recent developments in the legal system such as restorative justice.
Students can expect classes discussing topics including:
- Historical and contemporary issues in criminal justice
- Policy analysis in the criminal justice system
- Social change in action – prevention, consultation, and advocacy
- This program requires an on-campus residency.
- Master's degree or higher
- Must have at least two years of agency-related professional experience
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Official transcripts
- Additional materials may be requested
School Accreditation Statement
The Higher Learning Commission