Find out more about University of Virginia

Receive more information about

Master of Arts in Physics Education

Program Details

The University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Virginia offers a Master of Arts in Physics Education degree. Students must complete 10 courses in order to fulfill the total 30 credit hour curriculum. The program may be completed in two and a half years, if students complete two classes during the academic year and two summer classes on-campus in Charlottesville. This is also a hybrid program. Students may begin this program during any term. This program is offered through the Graduate College of Arts and Sciences.

The MAPE program may be ideal for teachers, either middle school or high school, to build stronger backgrounds in physics. This program does not provide preparation for individuals who wish to teach at the community college or collegiate level. Additionally, consideration may be given to applicants who do not hold a teaching license and have previous experience in engineering science or retired early from the military and desire to teach physics. Licensed teachers who take additional physics courses (18 credits in Virginia) may qualify for high school physics teacher certification/endorsement. However, the MAPE classes and degree do not suffice as a license to teach; the license is determined by the Board of Education by each individual state.

The curriculum specifically focuses on physics and physics pedagogy. The required courses include the following: Classic & Modern Physics I, Classic & Modern Physics II, Modern Physics, Curriculum Enhancement I, Curriculum Enhancement II, and Physics Pedagogy. The remaining credit hours are to be completed with electives. The elective choices include the following: Galileo and Einstein, Topics in Physical Science, and Independent Studies.


The MAPE program is designed for licensed teachers who already teach science or physics in grades 6-12, but do not have an undergraduate degree in physics. Applicants who are unlicensed teachers and applicants who have had an engineering, science, or mili

Accreditation & Licensing

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges