The bachelor’s degree in Addiction Counseling and Prevention combines a strong academic foundation with real-world experience in counseling and prevention. A focus is placed on science-based addiction education.
This online substance abuse counseling degree often prepares graduates for state, national, and international certification. Students should check requirements in their specific area. The program includes studies of the nature, etiology, prevention, and treatment of alcohol and other drug issues. Specializations are available in Treatment and Prevention.
Examples of courses available to students include:
- Study of alcohol use and addiction
- Study of drug use and addiction
- Fundamental skills of individual and group counseling for addiction
- Ethical and legal issues in the addiction profession
- Addictive family systems and family counseling
- Evidence-based decision
- A high school diploma or GED is required
National Addiction Studies Accreditation Commission (NASAC)
School Accreditation Statement
North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission