University of North Georgia was founded in 1873 as a branch of the Georgia College of Agriculture and Mechanical through the University of Georgia. The first classes held at University of North Georgia served both men and women, making it the first coeducational college in the state. In 1929 the name of the school became North Georgia College. Then in 1932, the college was reduced to a two-year junior college but was reinstated as a four-year college by 1946. In 2012, North Georgia College and the State University with Gainesville State College merged to form the University of North Georgia by January 2013. The school's mission is "to provide an environment of academic excellence that develops leaders who respect all people, maintain high ethical standards, continue intellectual and personal growth and serve the community, the state, the nation and the world."
Students have a variety of options academically at University of North Georgia leading to associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees, as well as undergraduate and graduate certificates. There are four schools in which students can find a program:
- College of Arts & Letters
- Mike Cottrell College of Business
- College of Education
- College of Health Sciences & Professions
- College of Science & Mathematics
- University College
- Lewis F. Rogers Institute for Environmental & Spatial Analysis
University of North Georgia offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs that can be completed through its distance learning program.
Accreditation & Licensing
University of North Georgia is accredited by:
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)