The University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson is the health sciences campus of the University of Mississippi. The Medical Center opened in 1955, but its beginnings date to 1903 when a two-year medical school was established on the parent campus in Oxford. In that era, certificate graduates went out of state to complete their doctor of medicine degrees. Finally, in 1950, the Mississippi Legislature enacted a law to create a four-year medical school. And in 1955, the state's new University Medical Center, or UMC as it was commonly called, opened in Jackson, initially as a four-year medical school with medical and graduate students, interns and residents.
UMMC offers bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees and certificates from the following schools:
- Graduate Studies
- Health Related Professions
- Population Health