Find out more about University of Florida

Bachelor of Science in Microbiology & Cell Science

Program Details

The University of Florida offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Microbiology & Cell Science. The program is intended for students who are looking to expand on their passions in learning about microscopic life. Students take classes that enable them to create an impact on the world improving diverse disciplines such as the environment, health, and more.


This degree requires two in-person laboratory courses in Gainesville, FL.

  • Earn an associate of arts degree with a minimum 2.0 GPA (as calculated by UF) OR;
  • Have 60 transferable hours for students transferring from private institutions, four-year institutions, or institutions outside of Florida with a minimum 2.0 GPA
  • Students must also have completed the following courses with a 2.5 or higher GPA as calculated by UF:
    • Biology 1 and 2 with Lab,
    • Chemistry 1 and 2 with lab, and
    • Calculus with Analytical Geometry
  • Complete two years of sequential high school foreign language courses or 8-10 hours of sequential college-level foreign language courses (or documentation of an equivalent level of proficiency)
  • Students MUST submit a transcript from each institution attended, regardless of length of attendance or credit earned
  • A minimum C average, as computed by the university. Any student who has failed to maintain a 2.0 GPA at another institution after completing the AA degree is not eligible for admission
  • Post Baccalaureate Students who have already earned a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution are permitted to apply for Post-Baccalaureate status. They must meet the same criteria as stated above

Accreditation & Licensing

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges


UF is partially authorized for residents of Alabama, Arkansas, Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, and Washington. States pending authorization include: Kansas, Michigan, New York, and Oregon.

Distance education programs in allied health professions, counseling, education, nursing, social work, and veterinary medicine may require additional approval from state licensing agencies or boards. Out-of-state students who are considering applying to a professional program should contact the licensing agency or board in their state prior to enrollment.