The University of Charleston was founded in 1888 in Barboursville, West Virginia as Barboursville Seminary, affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal Church South. A substantial gift from a Fayetteville coal operator, Morris Harvey, helped the struggling school eliminate its substantial debt. In gratitude, the school was renamed Morris Harvey College, and embarked on a building and renovation program. After years of growth, the college disaffiliated from the Methodist Church, becoming an independent college in 1942. On December 13, 1978, Morris Harvey College was renamed the University of Charleston. In the last several years, the university has established locations in Beckley and Martinsburg, and developed the opportunity for students to learn online.
UC awards associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees from the following academic schools:
- School of Business and Leadership
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Arts and Sciences
- School of Health Sciences
- Physician Assistant Program
Online programs are available as well, leading to select bachelor’s and master’s degrees as well as a Doctor of Executive Leadership degree.
Accreditation & Licensing
University of Charleston is accredited by:
Higher Learning Commission (HLC)