The online PhD in Nursing degree program from The University of Texas Medical Branch prepares students to become researchers, educators, or administrators in nursing. Graduates of the program possess the knowledge and skills required to:
- Create conceptual systems that reflect synthesis, coherence, and the extension of knowledge about health promotion, human response, and healing within the context of biobehavioral research, vulnerable populations, and contemporary pedagogies
- Design, conduct, communicate, and evaluate research that contributes to a body of knowledge in nursing science
- Test, generate, and extend knowledge about nursing practice that includes health promotion, human response, and healing into clinical settings
- Collaborate with others on the integration of conceptual, practical, and ethical knowledge of human health in the organization, implementation, and evaluation of health care practices and policies
- Provide leadership to improve the local, national, and international health care environments
- A minimum of a master’s degree in nursing from a nursing program accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC), Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or other nationally recognized nursing education accrediting body. Applicants who have a master’s degree in nursing from a non-accredited program will be considered individually.
- National certiﬁcation and recognition or licensure as a Nurse Practitioner in the state in which he/she practices.
- A GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale is preferred; a minimum of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for all college work is required.
- Current (active), valid, unencumbered license or multi-state privilege to practice as a registered nurse in the state(s) in which the student participates in any clinical learning experiences.
- Submission of all ofﬁcial transcripts (undergraduate and graduate) from each academic institution attended. Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in nursing or proof of equivalent degrees are required.
- Two writing samples
- A written statement of personal career, educational, and scholarship goals is required.
- A personal interview in person or by telephone with a faculty member is required.
- One professional reference is required.
School Accreditation Statement
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges